Delicious and flavorful Italian comfort food that please everyone in the family
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
• 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
• 3 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
• 1 Tbsp dried basil
• 2 Tbsp dried parsley
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1 egg
1. preheat oven to 400F. In a bowl, combine everything except the beef and mix well.
2. Add the beef and blend, trying not to work the meat too much (works best with your hands)
3. Form balls (any size you want) of the meat and place on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes (this could be longer or shorter depending on the size of the meatballs).
5. Place meatballs in the sauce (recipe follows) and simmer for at least a half hour.
6. Serve the cooked meat balls over pasta and garnish with basil leaves.
To make the sauce:
• 12-15 fresh tomatoes (peeled, chopped and blended in a food processor)
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 4 cloves of garlic and 4 tsp dried basil
• 2 tsp black pepper
• 1 tbs sugar (optional)
• 2 tbs olive oil
• 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a 5+ qt. pot over medium heat, and add the onion.
2. Saute until translucent, stirring often and being careful not to burn it.
3. Add the chopped or pressed garlic.
4. Heat for another one to two minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic, then add all the tomatoes, black pepper, basil and sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours stirring often.
6. For the first half of the simmer time, do so with the pot uncovered, then cover.
7. Add the cheese, stir in and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.