Spiral borek is a flaky Filo dough stuffed with a mixture of sautéed onion, meat and spices; baked and then served as a side dish or snack. In this recipe I am using the Liyyeh seasoning (lamb flavor) to enhance the taste of the ground beef and give it a more rich flavor.
1 package of Ziyad filo dough
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion finely diced
1/2 packet of Ziyad Liyyeh seasoning
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Filo Pastry Coating
3/4 cup milk
4 tbs vegetable oil
Dash of salt and pepper
To make filling:
1. On a medium sized sauté pan and on medium high heat, sauté onion with olive oil until translucent.
2. Add in ground beef and cook until brown.
3. Stir in the Liyyeh, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, and pepper until combined. Turn heat off and allow to fully cool.
4. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
To make filo pastry coating:
1. In a bowl, whisk egg, milk, vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
2. Lay out 2 sheets of filo dough and brush with the coating mixture.
3. On the long edge of the rectangular sheet of filo dough, scoop a thin line of meat filling.
4. Gently roll up the meat filling in the filo pastry sheet until you’ve formed a snake-shaped roll.
5. Starting from one end of the snake-shaped roll, fold the roll into itself to form a spiral shape.
6. Brush vegetable oil or melted butter on the bottom of a Pyrex pan or baking tray and place the burek in the center.
7. Repeat Step #7 and wrap around the outside of the burek until pan is full or the burek is at the size desired.
8. Brush the top of the borek with the coating mixture.
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
To buy the Liyye seasoning go to http://bit.ly/ShopZiyadLiyyeSeasoning22