I love to make this dish, because it brought back lots of childhood memories, especially when my grandma used to make it for us. I like to call it stew because it is thicker in consistency than a soup. So delicious and easy to do.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup red lentils washed and drained from water
- 1/2 cup short grain rice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- About 3 cups of water
- fried onion, chopped parsley and lemon wedges
- In a big pot, sauté onion and olive oil until translucent .
- Add in the lentils, rice, cumin,turmeric and salt, stir to combine.
- Add water, cover and let cook on a medium low heat until smooth and tender.
- Turn heat off and serve the stew garnished with parsley, pomegranate jewels and lemon wedges