- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup parsley finely chopped
- 2 small onion finely diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
For the sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs dried mint crushed
For the yogurt sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 -4 garlic smashed
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 pita bread cut into small squares for the bottom
- In a big bowl add the ground beef, spices, parsley, onion, salt and pepper.
Roll the ground beef into fingers as shown in the picture
In a deep sauté pan, add oil and brown the ground beef fingers from all sides for couple of minutes .
2. Add the tomatoes sauce and water and let cook for about 20-30 minutes on a medium heat stove or until sauce thickens.
3. In a big oven tray spread the pita bread and drizzle the 2 tbs of oil on top
4. Preheat oven to 400F.
5. Bake the pita bread on the middle rack of the oven until golden brown. Keep watching the bread because it burns so fast.
6. In a bowl mix in yogurt, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt. Set aside
7. In the bottom of a big serving dish, spread the pita bread evenly and drizzle it with the tomato sauce ( you might not use all the tomato sauce, because you don’t want the bread to be very soggy).
8. Spread the rice on top of the pita bread
9. Spread the yogurt on top of the rice
10. Arrange the ground beef kofta on top and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.