- 2 pounds quince (about 3 large or 4 medium)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Optional flavorings: Cloves, star anise and/or whole cinnamon
1. Peel the quince with vegetable peeler.
2. Cut the quince in half or slice into quarters and cut away the core and seeds.
3. As you finish with each quince piece, place in a large bowl of water to prevent browning.
4. In a medium size saucepan, mix together water, sugar, and any flavorings you like; simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Add the quince and cover with a lid.
6. Simmer for 30 minutes if you cut it in quarters , but if you want to cut it in halves it will take about an hour to cook or until the quince is turning pink and is tender.
7. Turn off the heat and either strain and use right away, or refrigerate the quince in the poaching liquid for up to 7 days.
You can serve with a dollop of orange blossom water flavored ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of pistachios.