- 2 pounds quince (about 3 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Optional flavorings: Cloves, star anise and/or whole cinnamon
1. Peel the quince with vegetable peeler.
2. Cut the quince in half, slice into quarters and cut away the core and seeds.
3. Place cut quince into a bowl of water: As you finish with each quince quarter, place in a large bowl of water to prevent browning.
4. In a medium size saucepan, mix together water, sugar, and any flavorings you like; simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Add the quince and cover with a lid.
6. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the quince is turning pink and is tender.
7. Refrigerate in the poaching liquid: When the quince is pink and tender, turn off the heat and either strain and use right away, or refrigerate the quince in the poaching liquid for up to 7 days.