One of the most comfort food dishes that my kids love to have for dinner. This pie made with minced beef topped with mashed potatoes and sprinckled with bread crumbs … so delicious.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup half and a half
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup peas (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 4 tbs plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbs butter
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until tender
- meanwhile, Add 2 tbs of the oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the ground beef to the pan with the onions and Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out.
- At this time, add the peas ( if used).
- When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the 2 tbs of butter, half and a half and salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the ground beef mixture if in an even layer in a large oven safe baking dish (11×7).
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef.
- Spread bread crumbs evenly on top of the mashed potatoes and dotted with the 1 tbs of butter.
- Bake the Shepard’s pie in the middle rack of the preheated oven and cook until golden brown about 30 minutes.