This is an easy quick and delicious recipe for lunch or snack especially when zucchini is in season.
- 2 big or 4 medium zucchini grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup scallions finely diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbs olive oil for frying
Pita bread and lemon wedges for serving
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle the zucchini lightly with salt. Allow the zucchini to stand for 10 minutes. Using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl.
- Add the flour, eggs, scallions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and red pepper (if used) to the bowl, stirring until the mixture is combined. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Add the olive oil to large sauté pan set over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, scoop 1 tablespoon mounds of the zucchini mixture into the pan, (or 2 tbs depends how big in diameter you want the fritters) pressing them lightly into rounds and spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Cook the zucchini fritters for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip them once and cook an additional 2 minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout. Transfer the zucchini fritters to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the scooping and cooking process with the remaining zucchini mixture.