- 4 skinless, boneless chicken
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbs chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 3/4 enchiladas sauce (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend for topping and filling
- Chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapeño pepper and sour cream for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare enchiladas sauce ( recipe follows).
- In a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Drain excess fat. Cube the chicken and return it to the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and sauté until onion softened.
- Add chili powder, cumin powder, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese and set aside. ( be sure not to season with a lot of salt because the cheese and the enchiladas sauce are salty).
6. Add 3/4 cup of the enchiladas sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 Pyrex dish.
7. Roll even amounts of the mixture in the tortillas.
5. Arrange in the baking dish. Cover with the rest of the enchilada’s sauce and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
6. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeño pepper and sour cream.
To make enchiladas sauce:
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
- Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.
One of the most comfort food dishes that my kids love to have for dinner. This pie made with minced beef topped with mashed potatoes and sprinckled with bread crumbs … so delicious.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup half and a half
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup peas (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 4 tbs plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbs butter
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until tender
- meanwhile, Add 2 tbs of the oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the ground beef to the pan with the onions and Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out.
- At this time, add the peas ( if used).
- When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the 2 tbs of butter, half and a half and salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the ground beef mixture if in an even layer in a large oven safe baking dish (11×7).
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef.
- Spread bread crumbs evenly on top of the mashed potatoes and dotted with the 1 tbs of butter.
- Bake the Shepard’s pie in the middle rack of the preheated oven and cook until golden brown about 30 minutes.
This is an easy quick and delicious recipe for lunch or snack especially when zucchini is in season.
- 2 big or 4 medium zucchini grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup scallions finely diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbs olive oil for frying
Pita bread and lemon wedges for serving
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle the zucchini lightly with salt. Allow the zucchini to stand for 10 minutes. Using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl.
- Add the flour, eggs, scallions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and red pepper (if used) to the bowl, stirring until the mixture is combined. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Add the olive oil to large sauté pan set over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, scoop 1 tablespoon mounds of the zucchini mixture into the pan, (or 2 tbs depends how big in diameter you want the fritters) pressing them lightly into rounds and spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Cook the zucchini fritters for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip them once and cook an additional 2 minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout. Transfer the zucchini fritters to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the scooping and cooking process with the remaining zucchini mixture.
For the dough you need:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp ajwain seeds or thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbs ghee butter
- Water for kneading (approximately 1/4 cup and 2 tbs)
For filling :
- 2 tbs ghee butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 inch piece ginger finely diced
- 1 green chili diced
- 3 medium potatoes boiled, peeled and smashed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 dried mango powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp crushed coriander
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup peas
To make the samosa dough:
- in a big bowl, mix together ajwain, salt, flour and ghee. Rub the flour well in between the palms to incorporate the ghee well.
- Add water little by little and mix the flour to dough. Cover and set aside until the filling is ready.
- In a sauté pan, heat the 2 tbs of ghee butter, then add cumin until begins to sizzle.
- Add ginger, green chilli and saute until it begins to smell good. Add ground beef an brown for 5 minutes or until all liquid absorbed.
5. Add smashed potatoes, peas, chili powder, garam masala, crushed coriande, mango powder and salt. Mix everything well and saute for 3 to 5 mins. Set aside to cool.
How to assemble Samosa:
Make 8 portions of the dough and roll to balls.
2. Grease the rolling area and then flatten a ball. Begin to roll to a oblong or oval shape. Cut it to two. If the edges are too thick, gently roll it to thin down.
4. Smear water over the straight edge and join the edges to make a cone. Press gently to seal the cone.
5. Fill the cone with potato masala and smear water on the edges. Bring the edges together and make a pleat on one side. Bring back the pleat and seal it. Make sure the samosa has been sealed well.
6. Finish making all the samosas.
How to deep fry samosa
- Heat oil in a pan until medium hot. A piece of dough dropped in the hot oil must rise gently not immediately. This is the right temperature.
- Add the samosas to the oil and deep fry them until golden. When they are half fried you can increase the flame to little high and fry until crusty.
- Drain them on to a kitchen tissue.
- Fry all of them in batches.
- Serve with tamarind or cilantro mint sauce