- 6 – 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lumi
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, washed until water is clear then soaked in water and salt for 20 minutes
- 2 tbs ghee butter
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
1. To make the chicken: In a large high sided pan and on a medium heat stove, heat the 2 tbs of oil. Season chicken with salt, pepper and turmeric. Add chicken to the pan turning, until golden and crisp on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Stir in onion, garlic, carrots, cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, lumi and water. and bring to a simmer.
3. Place browned chicken, skin-side up, in simmering liquid. Cover with the lid and let cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
4. Remove chicken from cooking liquid and place on an oven safe big dish.
5. To prepare the rice, heat pan with reserved cooking liquid over medium and bring to a simmer. Adjust salt and stir in rice, cover, and cook at a low simmer until rice is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. fluff with a fork to combine.
6. In a small sauté pan heat the ghee butter. Add almonds and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Add raisins to the pan and cook until puffed, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper-towel lined plate to drain.
7. Preheat oven to broil, when oven is ready broil the chicken to golden color
8. To serve, spoon rice onto a serving platter and top with chicken. Sprinkle with fried almonds and raisins, garnish with parsley.