Gözleme is a traditional savory Turkish flatbread, made of hand-rolled dough that are filled with various toppings, sealed, and cooked over a griddle. The name derives from the Turkish word göz, meaning “compartment”, in reference to the pocket of dough.
For the dough:
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt room temperature
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper شطة مجروشة
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
- lemon wedges and olives to serve
For the dough:
- In a large bowl combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and stir in the yogurt and water. Continue mixing with a spoon until everything is well combined. If the dough is too dry adjust by adding a bit more water, start with a tablespoon at a time.
- Flour your work surface and knead the dough for about 3 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside.
- To make the filling, in a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, sauté onion until translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Stir in the bell peppers, parsley, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir everything together and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a wide dish and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, divide the dough into 4 equal balls. Roll each piece into a rectangle that’s about 12×10 inches.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp of the lamb mixture in the middle of the rectangle and spread it out a bit. Add some of the crumbled feta. Fold over the edges of the dough to seal. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle over medium heat. Depending on the size of your griddle, add 1 or 2 of the gozleme and cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Cut each gozleme in half diagonally and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!