- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds ( optional )
- 3 tbs powdered milk
- 1/2 cup ghee butter (سمنة)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp of each ground Mahlab, ground anise seeds and ground fennel
- A dash of ground mistika ( Arabic gum )
- 2 packs of dates paste (ajweh) for filling
- 1 tbs ghee butter (سمنة)
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water.
- In a small bowl mix all spices and the ground mastic together.
- Save a dash of the spices for the dates paste.
- In a big bowl add all the dry ingredients.
- Add ghee and olive oil, and mix until pea size ensemble.
- Add yeast and water and knead the dough to form a soft ball.
- Let rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl prepare the dates paste by adding the saved dash of the same spices you added to the dough and the ghee butter, mix to combine.
- Start shaping the dough into the shape desired and fill it with the dates paste.
- Arrange cookies in a cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake cookies in the lower rack of the oven for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to the upper rack of the oven and bake for another 5 minutes more.
- Serve cookies with a cup of tea.