Zaatar bread … مطبق الزعتر . Is a Palestinian pastry mostly made in spring, which is the season of collecting fresh wild thyme. It is a flat bread stuffed with sautéed fresh zaatar leaves, onions and sumac and I like to add crumbled white cheese to mine. When baking these pastries my house smells phenomenal.
مطبق الزعتر الاخضر الفلسطيني
- 2 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole weat flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbs powdered milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lukewarm water
- More olive oil for brushing
- 3 cups fresh green thyme (zaatar)
- 1 medium size onion diced
- 2 tbs sumac
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbs olive oil
- White cheese crumbled (optional)
- To make the dough: in the mixer bowl add flour, salt, powdered milk and mix with a wooden spoon until combine. Make a well in the middle and stir in the yeast and honey and 1/4 cup of the luke warm water.
- Let rest 5 minutes until the yeast mixture is frothy. Add the rest of the water with the olive oil and with the paddle hook attached to the mixer, mix for a minute.
- Replace the paddle hook with the dough hook and start kneading until a soft dough ball is obtained and the sides of the bowl are clean.
- Brush some olive oil on top of the dough and cover to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile start preparing the Zaatar filling.
- Take off the Zaatar out of the branches and wash it for 3 times by changing the water each time until the water comes out clean.
- Get rid of excess water by squeezing the zaatar leaves between your hands.
- In a medium sized frying pan and on medium heat on the stove add olive oil and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Stir in salt, black pepper, sumac, and Zaatar .
- Sauté the mixture for a minute and transfer it to a plate to cool down.
- In a big tray that is brushed with olive oil, divide the dough into 8 equal sized balls.
- Brush a little olive oil on top of a clean surface and start rolling out each ball into very thin squares.
- Brush some olive oil on top of each square to help rolling out.
- Spread a table spoon of the thyme ( Zaatar ) mixture in the middle and top it with a tablespoon of the cheese.
- Fold dough the same way as in the picture.
- Keep repeating the same procedure with all the balls.
- Leave them aside to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F.
- With the roller pin flatten each square to make it bigger (as shown in picture 9).
- In a oven tray covered with parchment paper arrange the Zaatar squares and brush the top with olive oil.
- Bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Arrange the Zaatar pastries in the serving plate and brush with more olive oil.