For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick (8 tbs) unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbs ice water
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- 1 tsp cream for egg wash
- Coarse sugar forsprinkling
- 7 tart plums pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs flour or corn starch.
- A sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- Start with making the dough, in the food processor, add flour, salt and sugar and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter until the mixture resembled crumbs, with pieces of butter no bigger than a pea.
- With the machine running, add ice water, drop by drop and slowly add egg yolks, until the dough just holds together without being wet or sticky; about 30 seconds. Test the dough at this point by squeezing a small amount together. If it is too crumbly, add a bit more water.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Grasping the ends of the plastic wrap with your hands, press dough into a flat circle with your fists. Wrap dough in the plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- In a medium size bowl, toss the plum slices with the sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator to let stand for 5 minutes before rolling out.
- Lightly flour a parchment paper sheet. Place the dough in the center and roll it out to a 13-inch round of even thickness.
- Arrange the plum slices in the center of the dough round and fold starting from 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the outside edge of the dough, working your way into the center. Fold the edges of the pie crust up and over so that circle of the filling is visible. Transfer the parchment paper sheet with the galette to a baking sheet.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl whisk together the egg and the cream. Brush the galette with egg wash and sprinckle with the course sugar.
- Bake at the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes or until golden in color.
- Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!