The best way to put asparagus in use when it is in season. Silky creamy vibrant soup that is easy and fast to do.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half n half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- In a large saucepan, add asparagus, diced onion, lemon juice and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. ( I like to add the lemon juice to maintain the vibrant color of the asparagus)
- Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until asparagus is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Process the mixture in a blender to puree the vegetables. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in the remaining chicken broth and the worcestershire sauce, and increase the heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture boils. Stir in the asparagus puree.
- Add the milk and the cream.Stir while heating the soup to serving temperature, but don’t allow it to boil. Serve immediately.