For shrimp marinade:
- 400 grams shrimp shelled and divined
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbs ginger garlic paste
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cups water
- Pinch of saffron and 3 tbs hot water
For cooking the biryani:
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 4 whole cardamoms
- 1 tsp mace
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbs biryani masala
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 green chilies chopped (optional)
- Some salt
- 2 big onions sliced and deep fried
- 1/2 tsp saffron diluted in 1/4 cup hot water
Preparation , preparation preparation of the ingredients is the key in Indian cooking.
- Deep fry onions in oil, drain on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any extra oil and set aside.
- Chop mint, cilantro and hot chilies and set aside
- In a small bowl, Dilute safron in hot water and set aside
- Prepare all spices.
- In a big bowl, soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes and drain it in a colander.
- In another bowl marinade shrimp with the ginger garlic paste, salt, chili powder and coriander powder and set aside
- In a big pot, add 4 cups of water and let boil. Add salt, the stick of cinnamon, cumin seeds, bay leaves and oil. Add rice and let boil until %85 cooked ( rice should not be all the way cooked, it should be al dente).
- In a colander, drain the rice from water and set aside.
- To cook shrimp, in medium size pot and on a medium high heat stove, add the 2 tbs oil, cinnamon, cardamom, mace and shrimp.
- Do not fry shrimp all at once, you should divide shrimp amount in half or it will be steaming not frying.
- Set shrimp aside and reserve the oil and spices in the pot
- Return the pot on the stove and add yogurt, mint, cilantro, green chilies (if used) 1/2 the amount of the fried onions, salt and biryani masala. Stir for a minute.
- Add shrimp and spread rice on top.
- Sprinkle the rice with the rest of the onions and the saffron.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes
- Remove the lid and with a serving spoon, mix the shrimp and rice together.
Enjoy with Raita and Naan bread!
I always love to have my Indian food with a cold drink of Mango Lassi … Here is the recipe:
- 2 ripe, sweet mangos
- 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups ice (1 tray of ice)
- 1 tbs sugar
- Peel and dice the mango
- In a blender, puree the mangos. Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until the ice is crushed and the drink is frothy.
- Serve in tall glasses