- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup plain yogurt room temperature
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbs baking powder
For Ashta ( milk pudding)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 4 tbs sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs orange blossom water
- Squeeze of lemon
- Start with the syrup, in a pot add sugar and water. Let boil for five minutes and then add lemon. Continue boiling for another 5 minute, turn heat off and add orange blossom water.
- To make ashta ( milk pudding): In a pot add milk, sugar, cornstarch, and heavy cream. Stir until cornstarch and sugar are dissolved.
- Cook on the stove top of at medium high heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in orange blossom water.
- In a big bowl add dry ingredients and mix until it is all combined.
- Add the yogurt and egg and stir until mixed together.
- Spray a 9×13 Pyrex pan with nonstick spray and spread 1/3 of the batter in the bottom of the pan.
- Next spread the ashta (milk pudding) on top.
- With a spoon spread the rest of the semolina batter evenly on top of the ashta.
- Let it rest for about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the basbouseh into the shape desired.
- Bake the basbouseh in the middle rack of the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- With a knife cut over the shape that you cut before baking.
- Drizzle the cooled syrup on top and let rest before serving.
- Decorate with any thing you like.