Delicious Palestinian dish that consists of ground beef patties tucked in grape leaves, topped with tomatoes, onion and garlic. And drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice. My mom used to serve it with a special homemade flat bread and I am following her steps.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 small tomatoes sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 potato thinly sliced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 2/3 cup beef or chicken broth
- 20-25 fresh grape leaves boiled in water for 5 minutes. If using the Jared grape leaves, you have to boil them in water for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl add ground beef, grated onion and all the spices, mix well.
Divide meat into egg size balls
- In an oven safe dish, arrange the potatoes sliced on the bottom.
- On a large, flat plate lay 2 or 3 grape leaves, add a slice of tomato and top it with a ball of the meat in the middle. Flatten the meat. Overlap the leaves to cover the meat totally.
- Lay the stuffed grape leaf pieces on top of the potatoes.
- Top the stuffed grape leaves with the rest of the tomatoes and onion slices.
- Dot the top with crushed garlic and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add broth and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Take aluminum foil off and broil to obtain a nice color.
Enjoy with my mom’s flat bread! Recipe follows.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- Mix all ingredients together. Dough should be liquidy like crepe dough.
- Let rest for 15 minutes
- Preheat a round nonstick skillet on mid heat.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of the dough in the skillet and try to move the skillet around to shape a circle. When done, flip one side over for a minute.