When you’re craving comfort food, you can’t beat meltingly tender beef short ribs slow-cooked in a hearty vegetable gravy sauce. And here’s the best part: only 30 minutes of prep work,the oven does the magic and let deliciousness ensue.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 3 ribs celery
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 4 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 tbs corn starch
- Preheat a large frying pan on a medium heat stove.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and dredge in flour
- Shake the ribs well to get rid of excess flour.
- Add 2 tbs olive oil to the pan and brown the ribs from all sides
- Place the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and tomato and corn starch into a food processor and blend until you reach a consistent, smooth pulp.
- Take a large Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Add the rest 3 tbs of olive oil and add the thyme to infuse the oil.
- Add the pulp to the Dutch oven and season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bring it to a boil. Using tongs take the ribs and nestle them into the gravy, the liquid should just about cover the meat. Place the lid loosely on top, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Serve the ribs with mashed potatoes and any kind of vegetable you like
Note: sometimes if I have fresh whole mushrooms, I throw some in the gravy during the process of cooking, but it is optional.