- 1 tbs fennel seeds
- 1 tbs anise seeds crushed
- 1 tsp mahlab powder
- 125 gr. or 9 tbs butter softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (1 egg white will be used to brush the top)
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour.
1 egg white and 1 cup toasted sesame seeds (optional).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a big bowl, whisk together butter, 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, water, vegetable oil and vinegar.
- In another bowl mix flour, salt, mahlab, fennel seeds, anise seeds and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture slowly and carefully while mixing with your hands,
- Knead everything with your hands until you get a soft non-sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into egg size balls.
- Roll each ball into a 4 to 6 inches rope.
- Connect the ends of the rope together by pressing with your fingers to seal.
- In a small round dish have the egg white ready, and in another big dish add the sesame seeds.
- At this point, if you choose not to use sesame seeds for topping, then just dip them in the egg white.
- Otherwise dip them in the egg white first and then in Assamese seeds to coat.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!😊