- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs instant dry yeast
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup room temperature plain yogurt
- 1/2 Luke warm water
- 1 cup fresh Za’atar (thyme) herb removed out of the stems , washed and chopped.
- This is a picture of the Za’atar herb in my garden.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, semolina,salt and Za’atar ( Thyme) stir to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, and add yeast, sugar and water.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside until yeast is frothy.
- Add yogurt and oil to the yeast.
- With the dough hook attached to the mix, knead the dough on a medium speed, until a soft dough ball obtained (ab0ut 4 minutes).
- If the dough is still sticky, add some flour.
- Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.
- Leave the dough in a draft free place for (about 30 minute) or until double in size.
- Place a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- When the dough is ready, gently punch it down with your fist.
- Divide the dough into egg size balls.
- With the balm of your hand, gently flatten the balls ( as shown in the picture.
- Cover rolls and Let them rest for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450F.
- Bake rolls until golden in color ( about 8 minutes).
- Enjoy with a cup of tea and slices of cheese, tomatoes and cucumber 😊!
5 thoughts on “Palestinian Za’atar Rolls. فطاير الزعتر الأخضر الفلسطينية”
As salamu alaikum Nivin, I looove Za’ataar and really want to try this rolls recipe. I have featured your delicious recipe on my weekly round up here http://www.theredlychee.com/the-weekly-round-up-6/
Hi Abida! Thank you so much for the featuring of my recipe in your weekly round up! I am really happy that you are interested on my recipes😊🙏🏻 I just want let you know that the Za’atar used in this recipe is the herb Za’atar not the one that is mixed with sumac and sesame, so if you want to do the rolls use fresh thyme. I will send you the picture for it.
I just added a picture for the Za’atar herb.
Great blog indeed! Loved every recipe! It was the first time I check it out! Will definitely be trying your recipes soon!