- 4 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch cube
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed red chili pepper
For the sauce:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- To make the sauce, In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix chicken cubes with the garlic powder and chili pepper, and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add the broccoli. Blanch the broccoli for 5 minutes then immediately transfer the broccoli to an ice bath (a large bowl of water with ice in it) to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a skillet, brown chicken on both sides with vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the broccoli (excess water drained well) then turn the heat down to medium. Gently pour in the sauce and let thicken, about 5 minutes. Gently toss the ingredients in the sauce until everything is coated well.
- Serve it with white rice.
If you’re using frozen broccoli, you will not need to do step 2. Make sure you thaw the broccoli out well and drain it of excess water. Add to the skillet the same time the fresh broccoli is added in step 3.