16 small cubes of butter
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 15 tbs. soft butter
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee mixed with bout 2 tablespoon water
- 1 2/3 cup self rising flour.
- Cut butter into 16 small cubes, and freeze on a tray. (This is besides the other butter in recipe )
- In a mixer bowl with a dough hook attached, mix flour , sugar and salt on low speed. Add in yeast. Mix again. Add in milk and egg and mix on high for 8 minutues. Add in butter. Mix for 5 minutues more.
- Divide dough into 16 equal rounds. Leave to rest for 10 minutues on a greaseproof paper.
- flatten each ball .
- Turn over and place ice cube size butter inside and pinch to form a bun .
- Once all 16 are done leave to rise on a greased oven tray in a warm area .
Icing ( to be piped or spread over buns before baking )
- mix icing sugar and butter till soft and creamy, add eggs in 1 at a time .
- Add in coffee and keep beating.
- slowly add in flour a little at a time. (You may not need all or you may need a little more) just check consistency. needs to be just firm enough to pipe.
- Put the icing into piping bag and in the fridge for at least half an hour before using it.
- When you are ready to bake, pipe on icing over buns in a spiral shape just over the top and a bit on the sides. Bake at 400F. In the middle rack of the oven for 12- 15 minutes.