‘Kazandibi’ is a Turkish classic: a thick, milky pudding with golden-brown coating of caramelized sugar on the outside.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- cinnamon (optional)
- Grease bottom of a baking pan of 25 x 30x 3 (9×13 x 1 1/2 inch). Sprinkle with sugar.
- Put baking pan in hot oven, untill Sugar turns a light caramel colour, take out of the oven and set aside.
- Combine flour, cornflour and milk in a saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly in rotary fashion with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in Sugar until blending well.
- Simmer for 1 minute over low heat.
- stirring gently and constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and stir well.
- Spread into baking pan.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place in a cold water bath. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from water bath and chill.
- Dust with cinnamon or crushed Pistachio when ready (optional). .
This recipe adapted from http://www.turkishdesserts.net