Grapeleaves stuffed with rice, meat, or vegetables
• 1 ½ lb grape-leaves fresh or Jared
• 1 ½ cup rice
• 1 ½ lb minced meat
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
• ¼ tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp salt
• ¼ tsp pepper
• ½ tsp allspice
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• Lemon juice of 2 lemons
• 2 cups chicken broth
Slices of 2 tomatoes
1. Wash and soak rice
2. Rinse grapeleaves and boil in hot water for 5 minutes, if using fresh . And it takes around 40 minutes if using the Jared grape leaves.
3. Drain water from rice
4. In a bowl mix meat and spices
5. In another bowl mix rice with turmeric and salt
6. Add 3 tbs of vegetable oil to the rice and then add the meat ( you can use either beef or lamb )
7. Start stuffing grape leaves . ( see picture down ) .
8. Arrange tomatoes slices in the bottom of a medium size pot.
9. Arrange the stuffed grape leaves on top of the tomatoes. And add the 2 tbs oil on top of the stuffed leaves.
10. Put a plate on top and then add chicken broth . Cook on medium heat until it boils . Turn heat down and let it cook for 30 minutes. Add lemon juice and allow it to cook for another 1-1¼ hours. Drain any excess broth and enjoy .
Note: You can use the same stuffing for stuffed zucchini, eggplant or any other vegetable.
For stuffed zucchini: Use the same stuffing, cover zucchini with plate and add one can of tomato sauce to two cups of water plus a tsp of salt and allow to cook until done ( about 1 hour).