The name Makloubeh was given to this dish because you flip the pot over when you serve it and it came down like a cake . It is a very famous and traditional dish in palestine . Made from meat ( lamp or chicken ), rice and vegetable ( eggplant / califlower, potatoes and or peas and carrots ) . Usually we make the chicken Makloubeh with cauliflower and potatoes ( optional ) and the lamp Makloubeh we make it with eggplant …. Delicious, tasty, and very flavorful . My mom’s Makloobeh is the best . You probably hungry by now after reading my description about this dish . Here is the recipe :
• 2 cups medium grain rice, washed and soaked in cold water for 20 minutes.
• 6-8 pieces chicken or lamb
• 2 cups reserved chicken broth
• 1 bag frozen peas and carrots sauteed or 2 eggplants, peeled and cut diagonally and deep fried or 1 head of cauliflower, cut and deep fried
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp allspice
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tbsp oil
• ¼ tsp turmeric
• 1 ½ tsp salt
. Bay leaf
. Onion slices (optional)
1. Wash chicken and pat dry . Sprinkle chicken with salt and turmeric. Sautee chicken with oil and then drain the fat. Add three cups of water and adjust salt. At this point you can add a bay leaf and some onion slices for fragrant . Allow chicken to cook for about an hour and 15 minutes. Get rid of bay leave and reserve broth .
2. Drain water from the rice. put a couple tablespoons of the rice in the bottom of a big pot . Cover with the chicken pieces and sprinkle with allspice . Put the vegetable over the chicken along with the crushed garlic, cinnamon and pepper . Put the rest of the rice over the vegetable and then add the two cups of reserved chicken broth.
3. Put a plate on top and let it cook on a medium heat until it boils. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let it cook for about 30 minutes or until all the chicken broth is absorbed.
4. Let it rest for a little bit and then serve by flipping the pot over the serving dish.
Serve with salad and plain yogurt .