- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb long pasta
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp drained capers
- 2 cans sardines in oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Bring large pot of water to boil and salt it.
- Put half the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add garlic and then add bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently,until golden and fragrant, less than 5 minutes, then remove.
- Add remaining oil and onion to pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water and cook until just tender; drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Turn the heat under the onions to medium high and add lemon zest, capers and sardines and lemon juice . cook, stirring occasionally, until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to sardine mixture and toss well. Add parsley, most of the bread crumbs and some reserved water, if necessary, to moisten.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, garnishing with more parsley and bread crumbs.