This is a very delicious dessert with a rich taste of Ghee butter and syrup . Long time ago an old friend gave me this recipe, and after that I tried a lot of recipes for this dish but non of them tasted the same.Once you start eating it, you can’t stop .
• 1 ¾ cup Semolina-
• ½ cup Sugar-
• 2 sticks Butter to make Ghee
• ¾ cups Plain Yogurt
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
. 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Cook syrup on stove top for 10 min.
To make Ghee …Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring butter to boil. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. The butter will form a foam which will disappear. Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden. Approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan. Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. And now it is ready to use … It makes a big difference in the taste of Basbousa when use Ghee .
1. Mix dry ingredients and pre-heat oven to 375 F°
2. Add yogurt and mix until all combined, make sure there are no lumps.
3. Use non-stick spray or 2 tsp Tahini to cover a 9” x 13” Pyrex pan
4. Pour mixture into Pyrex pan and with the knife make lines on top of the batter to form diamond/square shapes
5. Let rest for 45 minutes and bake until golden brown.
6. Cut on lines and drizzle with Ghee and then with syrup .
Let stand 30 minutes and serve .