Home made ( farek ) Knafeh dough
- 5 1/2 – 6 cups fine semolina ( farkha )
- 1 1/4 cup melted butter ( ghee )
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup dry milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs Orange blossom water
- In a big bowl add all ingredients and start kneading until combine.
- Spread the mixture in a cookie sheet .
- Preheat oven to 250 F .
- Bake for 1 1/2 hr . Stirring the dough couple of times during baking .
- Bring it out of the oven and let cool .
- In a food processor grind the dough until fine in texture .
- Sieve dough to be sure there is no lumps
- You can use it right the way or freeze it in a ziplock bag for future using .
- For filling you can use different kinds, Akkawi cheese that soaked in water overnight, walnuts with sugar, Ashta, mango and / or bananas.
To make ghee from butter
- 1 pound butter
- Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring butter to boil. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. The butter will form a foam which will disappear. Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden. Approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan. Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Store in airtight container being sure to keep free from moisture. Ghee does not need refrigeration and will keep in airtight container for up to 1 month.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown