Shishbarak (Arabic: ششبرك, also known as Manti in Turkey, gulf countries and Iraq . It is a pasta made in Palestine, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria and Iraq that has been described as a kind of local variation on ravioli or Perogies . After being stuffed with ground beef and spices, thin dough parcels or hats are cooked in yogurt and served hot in this sauce.
Making Shishbarak can easily be done . Assembling the dish is easy once the dumplings are ready, because the yogurt sauce and the rice can be prepared at the last minute.
- 1/2 lb ground beef or lamb.
- 1/8 grated onions and parsley.
- salt, pepper and a dash of allspice and cinnamon .
For dumplings dough :
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4cup warm water
- 1 egg
For the garlic coriander topping:
- Coriander powder
- Butter or oil
- Dried mint
- Garlic cloves mashed
Plain Yogurt and chicken or vegetable broth for the sauce
- Sift flour and salt over a large bowl.
- Add the water and the egg mixing with either hands or a wooden spoon.
- Keep kneading until sift dough obtained
- Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes. Divide the dough into two balls.
- On a working surface, sprinkle some flour and roll out the first ball as thin as 1 mm. in thickness (1/16 inch, if possible). Cut into rounds with a 1 inch cutter or a glass. ( see pictures down ) .
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of beef filling in center of each circle.
- Fold the dumpling into a half circle, pinching the outside edges delicately. Grab the two ends and pinch them shut towards the back of the dumpling. Place the dumpling on a greased cookie sheet.
- On a medium size pot, boil 2 cups of chicken or vegetable both.
- Add dumplings to the broth one by one, in a small quantities, so they would not stick to each other.
- Let cook for 10 minutes.
- by using a big spoon with holes in it, take out dumplings from the pot and set aside.
- Reserve a portion for immediate consumption and freeze the rest in freezer bags.
- Reserve broth.
- Place the yogurt in a large saucepan and add one tablespoon of cornstarch per pound and an egg.
- Place on low to medium heat and with a wooden spoon stir the yogurt in the same direction until it starts steaming and a bubble or two escapes.
- Add reserved broth and stir until combine .Turn off the heat and keep aside.
To make the garlic Coriander topping :
Heat a couple tablespoons of butter and olive oil and fry some mashed garlic cloves and some Coriander . When the fragrance of the mixture starts to rise, turn off the heat and set it aside. It should not take longer than 2 minutes.
Heat the yogurt sauce very slowly, and swirl the garlic Coriander pesto. Throw the dumplings and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Serve over the cooked rice. And sprinkle some dried mint on top ….. Expect seconds and thirds! Enjoy !
Some people like to cook their filling mixture before stuffing, by browning the meat with the onion . and some like to bake their dumplings before cooking them in the sauce ( where I grew up, my mom used to add tomato sauce to the yogurt during cooking … Some times I cook Shishbarak her way, but I like it better with just yogurt sauce .
A very delicious and easy to do crust less pie .
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup biscuit mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Assorted berries or kiwi slices for decoration
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan.
Put all ingredients in a bowl and blend for 1 minute with a handheld electric mixer. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes.
Decorate with fruits .
What a cake!! DELICIOUS! Not too sweet – not too heavy – just perfect for Summer! And the glaze is to die for!! Can’t wait to make it again!
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries, tossed with
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 8 -10 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- lemon zest (to garnish)
- Heat oven to 350°F Butter a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl with a wire whisk attached, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and beat until combined. Beat in flour in three additions, alternating with buttermilk and sour cream And beat for 2 minutes.
- Fold in blueberries. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edges of the pan. Turn out and cool completely.
Glaze: in a small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and corn syrup until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake and let it roll down the sides.
Tip: you do not have to buy a carton of butter milk just to use for this cake, you can just bring a 1/2 cup of milk and mix it with 1 tsp. Of white distilled vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes. And you will have a homemade buttermilk instead .
- 2 large eggplants
- All-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- 1 quart marinara sauce
- 8 ounces sliced dry mozzarella
- 4 ounces grated Romano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and heat oil in a large pan, Dutch oven or deep-fryer.
- Peel the eggplant and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Coat each side of the eggplant with the flour.
- In a separate bowl beat 4 eggs and dip the eggplant into the egg to coat both sides. Then take your bread crumbs and do the same to coat each side.
- Once the oil is hot, put the eggplant in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. You can also use a deep-fryer and leave in for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once all of the eggplant has been fried, get a rectangular baking pan and start the layering by adding the marinara sauce to the bottom of the pan, then the eggplant, more sauce, fresh mozzarella, Romano cheese, and continue to layer until you have reached the top of the pan. Top off with sauce, mozzarella, and grated Romano
Place the eggplant into the oven and cook for 45 minutes.Enjoy with Garlic bread and a salad !
This simple dessert captures the glorious flavor of mango like no other. Its texture is silky rich, and its flavor, simply wonderful.
- 2 envelops mango or orange jello
- 1 tup 8 oz. Whip cream
- 3 ripe mangos peeled and diced
- 2 cups boiling water
- In the blender purée 2 mangos and leave the third one aside
- In a big bowl Add 2 jello envelops and 2 cups of boiling water . Stir until jello dissolve completely
- Add jello and whip cream to the puréed mango
- Mix until combine and no cream lumps
- Cut the third mango into small chunks and add to mixture
- Pour mango pudding in the serving dish and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving
You can use puréed canned mangos, but I always prefer to use fresh
This is a very delicious dessert with a rich taste of Ghee butter and syrup . Long time ago an old friend gave me this recipe, and after that I tried a lot of recipes for this dish but non of them tasted the same.Once you start eating it, you can’t stop .
• 1 ¾ cup Semolina-
• ½ cup Sugar-
• 2 sticks Butter to make Ghee
• ¾ cups Plain Yogurt
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
. 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Cook syrup on stove top for 10 min.
To make Ghee …Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring butter to boil. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. The butter will form a foam which will disappear. Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden. Approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan. Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. And now it is ready to use … It makes a big difference in the taste of Basbousa when use Ghee .
1. Mix dry ingredients and pre-heat oven to 375 F°
2. Add yogurt and mix until all combined, make sure there are no lumps.
3. Use non-stick spray or 2 tsp Tahini to cover a 9” x 13” Pyrex pan
4. Pour mixture into Pyrex pan and with the knife make lines on top of the batter to form diamond/square shapes
5. Let rest for 45 minutes and bake until golden brown.
6. Cut on lines and drizzle with Ghee and then with syrup .
Let stand 30 minutes and serve .