- 2 pounds quince (about 3 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Optional flavorings: Cloves, star anise and/or whole cinnamon
1. Peel the quince with vegetable peeler.
2. Cut the quince in half, slice into quarters and cut away the core and seeds.
3. Place cut quince into a bowl of water: As you finish with each quince quarter, place in a large bowl of water to prevent browning.
4. In a medium size saucepan, mix together water, sugar, and any flavorings you like; simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Add the quince and cover with a lid.
6. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the quince is turning pink and is tender.
7. Refrigerate in the poaching liquid: When the quince is pink and tender, turn off the heat and either strain and use right away, or refrigerate the quince in the poaching liquid for up to 7 days.
Flakey soft dough filled with tahini and walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbs active dry yeast
- 1/2 warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs tahini
- 1 stick (8 tbs) butter
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 cup of finely crushed walnuts
For egg wash
- 1 egg and a drop of vinegar
To make the dough:
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough attachment, add yeast, sugar, water, milk and oil. Mix to combine
- Add flour and salt. Start kneading the dough on medium speed for 4 minutes or until a soft elastic dough obtained. You might need more flour if the dough sticks to the sides of the bowl.
3. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rest in an air draft place until double in size (30-45 minutes).
4. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan and on a medium heat stove melt butter.
5. Stir in tahini and sugar until combined. Set aside.
6. On a well floured surface, knead the dough with your hands to form a log.
7. Divide the log into 16 equal size pieces.
8. Form the dough pieces into balls, arrange them in a floured dish and cover them with plastic wrap.
9. Unroll each ball into a thin disk. Divide the balls into two stacks of 8 disks
10. Spread 2 tablespoons of the tahini mixture on top of the disk
11. Sprinkle 1 tsp of walnuts on top.
12. Repeat the same procedure with the other stack of the 8 disks.
13. Unroll the stack of the 8 layers dough to form a big rectangle
14. With the pizza cutter, divide the rectangle into 8 columns.
15. Twist each column and roll it as in picture.
16. Arrange the pastries in cookie sheet and set aside to rest for 10 minutes
17. Mean while, preheat your oven to 425F.
19. Brush pastries with the egg wash
20. Bake them in the middle rack of the oven until golden brown
21. Microwave the apricot preserve for 30 seconds
22. Brush pastries with the apricot preserve and keep them in an air tight container to maintain freshness.
This dish is a family favorite, so easy to do and it doesnot take a lot of time. If you are craving Asian, this is the perfect recipe.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch cube
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed red chili pepper
For the sauce:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- To make the sauce, In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix chicken cubes with the garlic powder and chili pepper, and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add the broccoli. Blanch the broccoli for 5 minutes then immediately transfer the broccoli to an ice bath (a large bowl of water with ice in it) to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a skillet, brown chicken on both sides with vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the broccoli (excess water drained well) then turn the heat down to medium. Gently pour in the sauce and let thicken, about 5 minutes. Gently toss the ingredients in the sauce until everything is coated well.
- Serve it with white rice.
If you’re using frozen broccoli, you will not need to do step 2.
Make sure you thaw the broccoli out well and drain it of excess water. Add to the skillet the same time the fresh broccoli is added in step 3.
- 3 medium size ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- ١ cup chocolate chip
- 1 banana sliced and some walnuts for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a big bowl, Add all ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the batter evenly in the loaf pan.
- Arrange the banana slices and walnuts on top of the batter.
- Bake the loaf until a toothpick stuck into the bread comes out clean about 60 minutes.
Slice and enjoy with a cup of tea!😊